The 50th All-Britain Congress of the Young Communist League took place at Ruskin House in London across Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd August, with over one hundred delegates, observers and volunteers in attendance over the weekend. On the Sunday, twenty members were elected to the new Central Committee of the Young Communist League. This increase to twenty, from a previous leadership of nine, reflects the vast growth of the YCL which has more than tripled in size, just shy of 500 members, since their 49th Congress took place.
Under the YCL Constitution, which was updated at the Congress, the new Central Committee is entrusted with putting into practise the decisions, policies and priorities of the Congress over the next two years and to continue the essential work of building the YCL.
The new Central Committee met online for training and collective discussion on September 11th 2021 and held its first full meeting the following day on September 12th 2021. As its first task the Central Committee designated roles and elected new officers to serve the League in carrying out the decisions made at its Congress. This included General Secretary, Johnnie Hunter, stepping down as Editor of Challenge and passing that role on to Nathan Czapnik, who we welcome with praise and open arms!
The full list of comrades elected as officers are as follows:
- General Secretary – Johnnie Hunter
- Chair – Robin Talbot
- Treasurer – Peter Stoddart
- Vice Chair – Morgan Horn
- Minutes Secretary – Matthew Waddell
- Membership Officers – Holly Morcos & Shea Stewart
- Communications Officer – James McLelland
- Challenge Editor – Nathan Czapnik
- AgitProp Officer – Joseph Weaver
- Anti-Racism Anti-Fascism Officer – Robert Daw
- Branch, District & Nation Development Officer – Daniel Lambe
- Campaigns Officer – Michael Quinn
- Conduct and Discipline Officers – Judith Carzola & Comrade Matthew Waddell
- Culture & Events Officer – Shea Stewart
- Disability Officer – Jem Knight
- Environment Officer – Hannah Phillips
- Industrial Officer – Laura Dickinson
- International Officer – Pierre Marshall
- LGBT+ Officer – Nathan Czapnik
- Marxist Leninist Education Officer – Josh Morris
- Mobilisation Officer – Robert Daw
- Recruitment & Retention Officer – Daniel Roantree
- Student Officer – Jem Knight
- Women’s Officer – Judith Carzola
- YCL100 Officer – Robin Talbot
The new Central Committee would like to take the opportunity to thank the 50th Congress and the entire membership of the League for the trust and faith which has been placed in them. The Central Committee promises to do their utmost to carry out their duties with the energy and diligence expected of members of the YCL.
The next meeting of the Central Committee is due to be held in person in London in October 2021. The YCL’s updated Constitution and the final Resolutions from the League’s 50th Congress will be officially published shortly.
Challenge News Desk