The UK has now administered the first COVID-19 vaccinations to over 5.4 million members of the population according to Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s latest update on Friday 22 January. The rollout of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and, more recently, the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has been lauded by Conservative MPs as large success of an otherwise shambolic and devastating response to the coronavirus crisis.
The City of London Corporation have voted that the statues of two politicians in central London will be removed due to their links to the slave trade. The statues of Sir John Cass and William Beckford are currently in Guildhall. The City Corporation has stated that they are to replace the statues and are considering commissioning a new memorial to the slave trade in the area.
“Decades of underinvestment and privatisation in our health, elderly care and emergency services have produced Britain’s disastrous COVID-19 death rate – the sixth worst in the world”, according to the Communist Party. Speaking to the party’s Political Committee on Wednesday evening (20 January 2021), general secretary Robert Griffiths said the Tory government’s late and inadequate response to the coronavirus had added a “deadly twist” to the figures.
The Communist Party has issued the January edition of its news sheet Unity! focusing on the COVID-19 pandemic, the Rolls Royce workers win, Brexit, student occupations, the upcoming CP trade union aggregate and plans for the YCL centenary.
The Young Communist League has issued an updated statement on the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic in response to the massive increase in deaths and new infections and the government’s total failure to battle the crisis.
Scottish Labour Leader, Richard Leonard, has today (14 January 2021) announced his resignation with immediate effect, making him the tenth leader to try, and fail, to overturn the Party’s seemingly terminal decline. Nearly 14 years since the SNP first went into Government, Labour appear devoid of answers as the next election looms.
To kick start activities in 2021, the Communist Party is holding an aggregate of members who are also active or intending to become active trade unionists. The event is open to members of the Communist Party and the Young Communist League. The Party’s Industrial Organiser Andy Bain is calling for a big turnout by CP trade unionists early in the year, to plan campaigns and struggle, as a real boost to the labour and anti austerity movements.
The free school meals company, Chartwells UK, linked to the Tories, has been publicly shamed on social media after its food parcels were sent to poor families to replace £30 vouchers only to find out that the food was worth significantly below £10.
Unison announced the election of its first female General Secretary, Christina McAnea, today (11 January 2021. McAnea was elected with 47% of the vote, with the remaining 53% of the vote being split across 3 differing left-wing candidates. McAnea is largely considered to be supportive of the policies and strategies of Labour leader Keir Starmer, making this election a huge win for the right-wing leadership of Labour, especially when considering that Unison is the largest trade union in the country.
The UK government has officially asked people to get negative COVID-19 tests before entering the country from overseas, a move which has made many ask – why on earth wasn’t this done sooner?